THE TRIPLE FILTER TEST FOR GOSSIP

In the ancient Greek, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, “Do you know what I just heard about your friend?”
“Hold on a minute, “Socrates replied. Before telling me anything I’d like you to pass a little test. It’s called the Triple Filter Test.”
“Triple filter?
“That’s right”, Socrates continue. “Before you talk to me about my friend. It might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you are going to say. That’s I call it the Triple Filter Test.
The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolute sure that what you are about to tell me  is true?”
“No,” the man said, “Actually I just heard about it…”
All right, said Socrates. So you don’t really know if it’s true or not. Now let’s try the second filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?
“No, on the contrary.”
So, Socrates continue, “you want to tell me something bad about him, but you are not certain it’s true. You may still pass the test though, because there is one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?
“No, not really.”
“Well, concluded Socrates, if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?

Share on Google Plus

About King Angela Uyi

I am Angela Uyi aka Mama Naija|Two time Social Media Personality Winner| A smooth talker| Humanitaria| Ghost Writer| CopyWriter |Twitter:@Angelauyi |
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

All content except noted photos and videos copyright © 2023, King Angela Uyi Creations.
All rights reserved. *Any images or videos not listed as mine are copyright to their respective owners and were used under creative common license or fair use standards. IF A PHOTO OR VIDEO IS YOUR MATERIAL AND YOU DO NOT WISH IT TO BE ON THE SITE, PLEASE EMAIL Us angelaeuyi@gmail.com AND WE WILL REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY. Content created and maintained by King Angela Uyi.