Tosyn Bucknor's: Ten Lessons I learnt in 2013

The Ten Things Mama is here again with another 10things she learnt in 2013
Read below.
Don’t get me wrong, 2013 has been an amazing year. I am however, ready to dust it off, and enjoy the new year.
Kudos to an amazing year though, a year of lessons! So what did 2013 teach me?
10. People lie
This was not a new lesson. I have always known this much. But it kept getting re-inforced. It seems when people are faced with an option of telling the truth and causing minimal damage or lying and ruining a relationship, they pick the latter. *shrug*

9. People die, People get born, life goes on
This year, my granny got buried, my cousin got married, another had a baby. Kim K and Kate had babies, Paul Walker and Cory Monteith passed on. It seems the circle of life continues spinning and we just play our roles then get off.
Now, Nelson Mandela has passed on. I wonder which of the children born this year will be the next icon
My theme song for this- M.I “Ashes”
8. Heroes have Clay feet.
Call them hero, put them on a pedestal, watch them fall off.
Heroes are human too and will disappoint us by doping, not being able to sort out their personal lives while having a great public life, lying, jumping ship and more.
The secret is to never forget- heroes have clay feet.
My theme song for this lesson is Vanessa Carlton’s “Even Angels Fall”
7. Kanye West is…
Special.
I thought the worst he’d do ever was cut Taylor Swift off at an award ceremony.
But Kanye has topped himself over and over again.
First was that uncalled for dig at Justin Timberlake “I ain’t *beep* with no suit and tie”, then there was all the run-ins with the paparazzi, the interviews were one minute he’d be fine and the next he’d be…well, kanye, throwing tantrums, wearing masks to perform…
It is a long list.
Hey! Until he disses me though, I’m like Jay Z- “I got 99 problems and kanye ain’t one”
6. There’s always a new ‘new girl’
I remember my first day on radio. Okay not really. But I remember what it was like- being so nervous I giggled all the time, asking myself if I was crazy to do this seeing as I was always a free spirit and this was basically a 9 to 5 (but a 6 to 11), always feeling sleepy because I had to get up at 4am…
Then this year, I celebrated my fourth year on radio and it was like, “for real? I have been doing this for four years?”. And there are people who tell me it feels like I have been on radio FOR EVER.
It’s an interesting transition, no longer the new girl but not yet a don.
It’s like that Britney Spears song, “Not a girl, not yet a woman”.
5. Time
If you are patient enough to give anything time, you’ll see, it works out in the end.
Broken relationships can be mended, dreams can come true, things that matter so much matter less…
My theme song for this lesson? Leona Lewis, “Better in Time”
4. You can make a way, or you can make an excuse
I learnt this year that if something matters to you, you will make a way, but if it does not, you will make an excuse.
It applies to invites to events, friendships, deadlines and dreams.
If you didn’t know, now you know. Next time you find yourself making an excuse and not a way, that is a clue.
3. It is okay to say ‘no’.
The beauty of that word.
2. ‘Turn it Around’
This lesson was inspired by Reminisce’s song, “Turn it Around” off the ‘Alaga Ibile’ album, Rodney Dangerfield, and really, anyone who had an interesting “I gave up, I was about to give up” moment and then went back in and turned it around.
1. Stop and Smell the Roses
Perhaps the biggest lesson I learnt this year was to stop and smell the roses.
I had worked so hard on a project and spent more time worrying than enjoying it. Then it ended and I was like, “err… No do-overs?”.
Now I have learnt not to get so caught up in the work part that I miss the play.
Celebrate your successes and actually enjoy them. What’s the point in grinding so hard if you never smile?
My theme song for this? Make it theme songS
Olamide’s “Turn Up” and Tiwa Savage’s “Shout out”
Share on Google Plus

About King Angela Uyi

I am Angela Uyi aka Mama Naija|Two time Social Media Personality Winner| A smooth talker| Humanitaria| Ghost Writer| CopyWriter |Twitter:@Angelauyi |
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

All content except noted photos and videos copyright © 2023, King Angela Uyi Creations.
All rights reserved. *Any images or videos not listed as mine are copyright to their respective owners and were used under creative common license or fair use standards. IF A PHOTO OR VIDEO IS YOUR MATERIAL AND YOU DO NOT WISH IT TO BE ON THE SITE, PLEASE EMAIL Us angelaeuyi@gmail.com AND WE WILL REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY. Content created and maintained by King Angela Uyi.